A superb vantage point: Alt-Eberstein
Alt-Eberstein Castle (Burg Alt-Eberstein) occupies a hilltop with an ideal strategic position. The first historical record of the castle dates from 1197. In the late 13th century, the counts of Eberstein relinquished the castle to the margraves of Baden. As well as extending the building, the margraves also used it as a residence and a dower house (home for widows). In the late 15th century, the castle was abandoned and fell into disrepair. After the Romantic movement brought ruins into fashion in the 19th century, the first efforts at conservation were undertaken. A worthwhile investment: from the keep, which is built on top of the castle’s shield wall (an exceptionally thick defensive wall), visitors are greeted with a magnificent vista taking in the entire castle, the Black Forest and the Rhine Valley, and even the Vosges mountains in France.